Aval(poha) payasam(kheer) recipe
Happy Vijaydashmi to all the readers of Creative Saga!!
Hope you all had a grand navaratri!!
Aval payasam is a easy and delicious dessert for the festival days. I made it and tasted this for the first time. Infact its so easy and quick , I am sure to make this again especially during our religious get togethers.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the cashews and roast until golden brown. Remove the cashews and keep aside till use.
- In the same pan, add the beaten rice. Saute for around 5 minutes till it turns little crispy with a nice aroma.
- Boil the milk. Add the beaten rice followed by the sugar , cardamom powder and the saffron.
- While you add, also keep stirring the milk.
- You may need to stir for around 15-20 minutes until the volume of the milk reduces a little, the beaten rice is well cooked.Keep scraping the sides while stirring.When its reduced to a thick desired consistency, remove from flame.
- Serve it hot or cold.
Alternatively, you can cook the roasted poha in boiling water and then add it to the thickened milk. Then add the sugar and nuts. Stir for another 5-6 minutes till sugar dissolves and everything combines well.