Beetroot Chutney recipe | Beetroot Thuvayal-- Side dish for rice and chapatis
There are some days when I don't feel like cooking much or I really don't feel like spending a long time in the kitchen. Thats when such vegetable chutneys come to my rescue. They can be easily served with some steamed rice or any rice variety like lemon rice or coconut rice. It does not take a long time to make this kind of chutney because you dont have to make any elaborate gravies etc. Morever its healthy too and you wont be missing your daily dose of vegetables in your diet. It does tastes great.
- Peel the beetroot with a vegetable peeler and cut into tiny cubes.
- Cook the cubes in a pressure cooker till soft or you can boil in some water too till they turn soft. Drain the water completely.
- Heat half a tbsp of oil in a pan. Add channa dal, peanuts and dried red chillies and saute for 2 minutes. Next add the cooked beetroot cubes and salt. Mix well. Remove from flame after 2 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Now place this in a blender and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Heat rest of the oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds and allow it to crackle. Add the asafoetida and curry leaves. Pour the seasoning to the ground paste. Mix well.
- Serve with rasam rice or chapatis too.
You can use carrots or cabbage or a mixture of vegetables too. Follow the same recipe.
You can also use a small piece of tamarind while grinding. It gives a nice and mild tangy taste.