I am not sure why this delicacy was never made at my mom's place.I mean I have missed this for so long.Its is so delicious!! I had come to know about the existence of such a halwa before I had it at a friend's place for the first time a couple of years back. Though I make a quicker version without milk most of the times (which I will post sometime later), Which tastes as delicious as this one, this is the first time, I tried this elaborate version and we all simply loved it. If you browse the net, you will find the differences in procedures and measurement of the ingredients. Here is the method and measurement I follow with good results.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add the cashews and fry till golden brown, Keep it aside.
- In the same pan, add the grated beets. Fry for around 5 minutes.
- Then add the milk and let it cook well. The milk should be fully absorbed.This will take around 15 minutes.
- Add the cardamom powder and sugar.
- Keep stirring till the halwa thickens.
- Add the roasted cashews and mix well.
- Serve warm preferably.
You can store in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in a microwave for few seconds and serve.
How about serving warm with a scoop of vanilla icecream?Sounds divine isn't it? At my place it was over even before I could think of a serving suggestion!!!