Bread crumbs nuts sponge cake
My hubby had gifted a book on baking called baking pleasures a couple of years back.Though I have read and gorged at the pictures several times , I had not really made anything from it. So after going through the book for the umpteenth time, I decided to bake this one as it sounded a little different from the others. I had also got a pack of bread crumbs and never managed to use them for weeks together. I followed almost the whole recipe with minor changes on the measurement of the ingredients. I skipped rum totally from the recipe and also used vanilla essence instead of fresh vanilla pulp.
The cake turned to be really good. We all loved the taste.
- Grind the almonds and walnuts to a very fine powder. Keep aside. Seperate the egg whites in a bowl. Use a hand blender and beat the eggs till you get stiff white peaks.Add half cup of sugar and whisk until sugar is dissolved.
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Beat the egg yolks with rest of the sugar till creamy.Mix the ground nuts and chocolate(grated) with the bread crumbs ,vanilla essence and baking powder.Fold into the egg yolk mixture alternately with milk.Carefully fold in the egg white.
- Grease a loaf tin and dust with bread crumbs. Pour in the sponge mix and bake for 55 to 60 minutes till the cake is done.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin, then turn out and dust with icing sugar if you want. Seve with whipped cream and chopped walnuts.
I am sending this one to pari's event called "only"cooking with bread. as I have used bread crumbs as a major ingredient in the recipe.