It will sound funny , but its true that I have been craving for these bread pakodas when I saw them being happily relished by two happy girls in a hindi serial telecasted in an Indian channel.Many weekends flew by before I finally managed to make them finally.
I have had this so many times in my school canteen. But then I don't really remember having them after that. I was actually reminded of this when I saw it on the television.
They were really delicious and my hubby and kiddo enjoyed them too!!!
For the potato filling-
For the cover-
- Cook the potatoes in a pressure cook till very soft. Mash it. Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the green chilli paste and finely chopped coriander. Then add the potato mixture. Mix until well combined.
- The next process-
- Combine besan, turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt. Add a teaspoon of hot oil. Mix well. Sprinkle water gradually and make a loose paste.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- Remove the sides of the bread. Place the filling on a slice of bread. Cover with another slice of bread. Seal the sides properly. Dip it in the besan mixture so that it is coated all over the bread. Put it in the hot oil. Deep fry till it is golden brown.
- Serve immediately with some green chutney or tomato sauce. Have it with some hot tea on the side.Simply bliss!!
- 1. Use a bread that is one day old so that its not too soft to handle.
- 2. For the green chutney mentioned above, you can grind coriander, green chillies and garlic to a fine paste seasoned appropriately. This green chutney can also be applied on the bread surface before placing the filling. You can also use mint leaves for the green chutney.
- 3. Just with the chutney, even without the potato filling ,bread pakoda tastes good.
- 4. Use a mixture of vegetables and paneer for the filling if you like.
- 5. You can also cut the bread in four equal squares and make them into small bite sized fritters.