Dum aloo recipe
I am sure everyone loves potatoes and there are infinite ways of consuming this particular vegetable. How versatile it is!!Whichever way you make it, its always tasty.Infact it makes even boring vegetables edible when combined with them.
But believe it or not , potato is something which I don't use too frequently. I do try to make a veggie , say twice or thrice a month.But I sure am attracted with the baby sized potatoes and buy them whenever I find them. So this time, I made the ever famous dum aloo and everyone just loved them. I served them with some pooris and it was a awesome meal.
- Boil or microwave the potatoes till it becomes soft. You can also deep fry them. I did not peel the potatoes, but if you dont prefer it that way, peel them. Poke holes on them with a fork and leave them aside.
- Meanwhile get your other things ready.
- Boil the onion for around 10 minutes(blanch) and grind it to a smooth paste.
- Blanch and peel the almonds. Keep the peeled almonds and cashews in hot water for around 20 minutes and grind them to a paste.
- Next, place the tomato in hot water for a few minutes. Peel the skin and puree it. You can use readymade tomato puree too.
- Now heat oil in a pan. Add the ginger garlic paste followed by the onion paste and saute for a few minutes. Then add the turmeric powder, red chilly powder and coriander powder. Mix well. Add the tomato puree and the nuts paste followed by the kasuri methi , garam masala and salt. Keep stirring till it becomes thick for around 5 minutes and the raw smell of onions and tomatoes should completely disappear. Now add the cooked potatoes. Mix it well with the gravy.Add around half a glass of water and cook for further 7 to 10 minutes so that the spices combine well with the potatoes. Last, add the yogurt. Mix well. Remove from flame after 2-3 minutes.