I had never been lucky with making gulab jamuns. I have seen my friends and relatives making the perfect jamuns and always looked and tasted their jamuns with awe I have used the readymade packets a couple of times. But either taste or texture was okay or neither of them. So once I even made jamuns with freshly made khoya in which the center remained uncooked and thus the sugar syrup had not reached the center.
When I made khoya with evaporated milk this time, I was wondering how to use the khoya in a good way and began hunting for recipes with khoya. I was very keen to make burfi , but the quantity of khoya was quite less for a burfi exclusively with khoya. So I decided to make gulab jamuns with khoya ,paneer and maida. I was quite careful right from the beginning and this time they turned really good and was appreciated by a few people whom I shared it with.
Recipe courtesy – premas cook
I learned many things when I made the jamuns this time and I feel quite confident with it now.
I am surely going to try different recipes to make this delicious sweet. Its always a favourite at home.
I am sure I can do a better job next time. So do try this one even you are not confident with making sweets. This one is definitely a easy one!!
Khoya recipe – Click on the link to go to the recipe
For sugar syrup
- Crumble the paneer nicely.
- Add in the khoya ,maida and soda.
- Gather everything together to form a dough.
- The moistness of khoya and paneer is enough to knead the dough.
- Add few drops of milk if the mixture is not moist enough to gather together.
- You don’t need to knead the dough too long.
- Pinch small portion of the dough.
- Make small smooth balls with them.
- Take care there are no cracks on them or else they may split while frying.
- Heat the oil for deep frying.
- When the oil is sufficiently hot, add the balls and deep fry till they are golden brown.
- You can add 3-4 balls at a time.
- Fry in low to medium flame so that the insides also cooks well.
- Combine the water and sugar.
- Boil till the sugar dissolves .
- Add the cardamom powder.
- Switch off the flame.
- Add the fried jamuns in the sugar syrup.
- Allow it to soak for around 2-3 hours.
- Chill and serve.
You can add some saffron strands, rose essence or even rose water for more flavour.
- Serve with vanilla icecream if you prefer.