Eggless spicy buns with sundried tomatoes
I had bought some sun dried tomatoes long back after seeing them being used in many recipes. But then later I couldn't find many suitable recipes and never managed to try them out. When clearing my refrigerator,I found them and decided to put them into some use. Bread sounded good to me. So I followed almost a similar recipe I had used for making the pavs/dinner rolls. And believe me , this was the best home made bread I had ever eaten. I simply loved the sour taste of the sun dried tomatoes. Adding red chilly flakes was a good option too. The combination of spiciness with the sour taste was excellent. Though my kid found it bit too hot and refused to eat them. So you can omit the chillies if you want it milder. Overall, it is a must try recipe, healthy, pillowy soft and delicious. Working with whole wheat flour /atta for the bread has become a regular practice at my place and I find it quite comfortable for baking and of course a healthy substitute too. It may not rise quickly (takes more time) like the all purpose flour does, but why compromise when you get almost the same but healthier end product.
- Add the yeast in warm water and allow it to froth for 10 minutes.
- Add 3cups of atta and 1 cup of maida along with sugar and salt and mix well with a spatula.
- Now add the sundried tomatoes and chilly flakes along with yogurt. mix well.
- Now knead the dough using your fingers so that it is smooth,pliable and elastic. Use olive oil while kneading and ensure the dough is coated with the oil.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth or a cling film. Allow it to rise for 2-3 hours till it is almost double.
- Then punch the dough and knead and fold the dough with your fingers and palms for 4- 5 minutes. Use more flour if you find it a little sticky.
- Pinch off some dough and shape them into small balls and place them on a baking tray keeping a slight distance between the two balls.
- Allow it to rise again for 30-45 minutes.
- Brush them with melted butter or egg wash or with a mixture of equal amounts of olive oil, sugar and milk.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180c for 25 minutes. The outer cust should be a golden brown and should sound a little hollow when you tap on it.
Cool the and serve. You can store in the refrigerator. Microwave for 15 seconds before you serve. I served with tomato chilly ketchup.You can also serve with your favourite soup.