Fat free dahi wada - microwave method
"Food cooked using or without altering the original recipe always tastes good and delicious" said one of my friend while we were discussing about deep fried foods the other day. "Just deep fry some brinjal slices and sprinkle some spices on them and serve your kids. They will love them.But microwave and serve them the same way, they will certainly find out the difference " ,she went on. Very true, isn't it? When you try to substitute fats with something else , it looses its original flavour and taste.
For me, I really wouldn't mind having deep fried foods or adding cream in subjis once in a while. Because I dont make them frequently. When it comes to bajjis or pakodas or koftas, I will prefer the deep fry method. I would love to have paneer subjis rich with cashew paste or cream atleast sometime.
But for people who are on a very strict diet and are on a look out for fat free dishes, microwave comes as a good option. I saw the recipe of fat free dahi wada in Tarla Dalal's microwave cookbook and tried making them. I was sure, it wouldn't taste like the deep fried crispy dahi wadas dunked in fresh curds. But when I tasted this fat free ones, they weren't bad either. Infact , they were quite close to the usual dahi wadas. It tasted really good with the spices and made a quick evening snack great for this hot weather.
- Soak the dal in warm water for atleast an hour. Drain out most of the water and grind it to a smooth paste in a blender along with the chillies and salt. Add the fruit salt and mix well. Pour the batter in a microwave dish and microwave for 2 minutes and 50 seconds.
- Remove and allow it to cool. Cut them into small pieces as shown in the first picture.Soak them in salted buttermilk for few minutes till they are soft. Drain and squeeze out any excess water. Place on a serving plate.
- How to proceed-
- Whisk the curds with the milk and salt and pour over the soaked wadas. Garnish with chilli powder, chaat masala and pepper cumin powder.
- Serve chilled.
- 1. You can also pour the wada batter in 8 small greased microwave bowls of 2"diameter. Microwave 4 at a time each batch for 1 minute and 15 seconds.
- 2. In my microwave , it took 2 minutes and 55 seconds to cook. You have to check every two minutes in case you microwave the whole batter in a single dish as I did.
- 3. For garnishing, do add some tamarind chutney on the top. It tastes delicious. Also sprinkle some coriander leaves while serving.
I am sending this fat free dahi wadas to the following events-
2. Srivalli's Thanda mela.
3. Indrani's spotlight-summer food and drinks