I have had the popular sweet and spicy dal when I was in Gujarat for a few years. This dal along with kadi (Gujarati kadi as sweet as the dal) is definitely present in all the dinner menus. I love the mild sweet taste along with the beautiful flavour of the whole spices. There are some days even now when I really feel like having this and it really goes well with jeera rice.
- Coriander leaves-for garnishing
- Cook the toor dal in a pressure cooker till really soft and mash it well. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds followed by all the whole spices.
- Next add the peanuts,chillies ,ginger and curry leaves. Add the tomatoes along with salt and cook well. Add turmeric powder ,amchoor powder and coriander powder.
- Mix in the cooked toor dal. Wash in the same vessel with a glass of water and pour the water into it. Add the tamarind pulp.
- Add in the jaggery and mix well. Allow the dal to boil for 4-5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve with hot rice.