How to make Phirni - Indian Rice pudding recipe
Pal payasam/Kheer/rice pudding is an exclusive Indian dessert mostly prepared during festive occasions. As I had mentioned in my previous mail that vadai and payasam is certainly made during any Tamil festival. I had made this payasam for Deepavali lunch.
There are various ways people prepare this dessert. Some use precooked rice and then add it to the milk. Some use soaked rice and then cook it along with the milk.
This time,I prepared it in a slightly different manner. I made it in the north indian style called phirni where the rice is broken to a semolina like consistency.
It was really delicious. I love it chilled!!
- Soak the rice for an hour.
- Drain the water.
- Add a spoon of milk.
- Then grind it to a coarse paste(consistency of fine rava).
- Heat a pan and add ghee. Fry the nuts till they turn golden brown
- Boil the milk. Add the rice paste.
- Add the sugar.
- Add the cardamom powder and kesar.
- Keep stirring till the rice gets cooked and the volume of milk slightly reduces and the whole mixture thickens.
- Add the roasted nuts.
Serve hot or chilled.