Kancheepuram/ kanchipuram idli recipe -- breakfast recipes
The popular Indian food, Idlis always makes up a simple and filling breakfast. But eating the same old plain idlis frequently is quite boring for some people . But making them involves very less time as compared to the other breakfasts. So , I have been trying various versions of idlis . I always keep my dosa and idli batter ready, so that I can just whip up some interesting and yummy breakfast in no time like this one which I posted few days back and now this Kancheepuram idlis, which can be made in a jiffy with the usual idli batter along with some interesting additions. I got the recipe from Jaya shenoy's book.
- Soak the rice and udid dal together for a couple of hours.(4 to 5)
- Grind the udid dal to a smooth paste adding a little water. Then grind the rice to a slightly coarse paste (semolina/rava like) adding water in between.Mix the batter.Add salt and mix.Allow the batter to ferment for 8 to 10 hours.
- To make the kancheepuram idli batter after fermentation-
- Soak the chana dal in water for half an hour and then add this to the batter.
- Mix well. Fry chillies, pepper, cumin,cashewnut bits and ginger in a frying pan using the gingelly oil. Put this in the batter. Add curry leaves,baking soda , salt and curds. Mix well.
- Now pour this in a steamer plate and steam for 15 to 20 minutes till cooked.
- Cut into shapes of your desire or into squares.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.