Kesar badam burfi ~How to blanch almonds- Indian sweet recipes
Wishing all the readers of Creative saga "A very happy Holi."
I actually made this sweet a couple of days ago , to be more precise -for my son's (star) birthday.But how about celebrating holi in Creative Saga with this delicious sweets. Sounds good!! right??
I had a can of evaporated milk which my hubby bought accidently when I asked him to buy condensed milk. I thought of using it in a sweet recipe which demands condensed milk. Anyway some sugar along with evaporated milk can be substituted for the condensed milk. I love nuts based desserts and loved this recipe. It looked gorgeous, like the ones kept in sweet shops in India. I keep gazing at all the sweets display in sweet shops - especially the varieties of cashewnuts based sweets. They look so beautiful and so undoable at home. But when I made this, I had sense of satisfaction. Its easy to make as well as they look so professional. It was not very sweet, tasted just right and delicious!!Try it sometime!!
Recipe courtesy- Prema's culinary(with slight modifications)
- How to blanch almonds-
- Soak the almonds in milk for around an hour.Microwave it for 30 seconds or heat in a stove for a minute. Now remove the milk and keep it for use later. Press each almond applying little pressure to remove the skin. Remove the skin from all the almonds.
- Now to the actual recipe-
- Grind the almonds to a fine thick paste adding the same milk.
- Soak the saffron/kesar in 2 tbsp of warm milk.
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a non stick pan. Add the almond paste. Stir constantly till it thickens slightly.
- Now add the soaked saffron strands, evaporated milk,sugar along with the pinch of food colour.Mix well.Keep stirring. Add the cardamom powder.
- Keep stirring adding ghee in between till it thickens really well and slightly turns crisp at the bottom and does not stick to the sides.
- Pour the mixture on greased plate. You can use a butter paper to smoothen the layer. Sprinkle the nuts and more saffron on top. Use the butter paper to press the nuts in.
- Cut into squares when it is warm.
Serve and enjoy!
You can use condensed milk instead of evaporated milk. You can skip sugar or add a little to suit your taste.