Low fat Lauki Kofta recipe
Lauki or bottlegourd became extremely popular in India when The Yog Guru Ramdev baba advised people to include them in the diet as it helps in reducing weight.It was even available in the fruit juice centers menu card and not so popular vegetable became a part of every household. Lauki has great importance in the Indian ayurveda and has lot of health benefits. Especially having juice made with lauki helps in fat loss.
I do include them in our menu quite frequently and have posted quite a few recipes with it sometime ago. Lauki parathas is one such recipe which is quite popular in this blog. Many readers have tried and enjoyed the recipe.
My mom used to make koftas with bottlegourd and we just loved it. I thought of posting it in my blog as its made using the low fat way!!
- Onion- 1 large chopped
- Ginger- 1' Chopped
- Garlic- 1 clove chopped
- Green chillies- 1 chopped
- Tomato- 1 pureed (Can use store bought tomato puree)
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Red chilly powder- 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Dhaniya jeera powder /Coriander cumin seed powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala- 1tsp(I used everest tandoori chicken masala- works well for veg. dishes- gives a spicy flavour and a red colour to the gravy.)
- Oil- 1tsp
- Peel the bottlegourd and grate it. Squeeze out water from the grated bottle gourd. Now add rest of the ingredients except besan (mentioned under the kofta ingredients).Mix well and make small balls with it.Now roll the balls on besan and coat it with the besan properly.
- You can now deep fry the balls and keep aside. Alternatively, I used Aebleskiver pan to shallow fry the koftas.
- Add few drops of oil in each depression of the pan. Heat the pan. Now place each ball in the depression. After the bottomside gets cooked,flip and allow the other side to cook. The cooked balls should be golden brown in colour.
- Blend the onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies to a smooth paste. Heat oil in pan. Add the ground paste. Saute for a few minutes and add rest of the spices. Now keep sauteing till the raw smell disappears. Now add the tomato puree. Mix well. Add a glass of water. Cook for few more minutes. You can add cream now for a rich flavour if you wish.
- Add the koftas to the gravy just befor serving.
Serve hot with chapatis/rotis.