Macaroni hot pot
I really love the Tarla dalal's cookbook about lentils and pulses. The recipes are so simple , so doable and interesting too. Like the masoor dal biryaniI have tried before which was quite a nice and a unique recipe. There are many other nice recipes too where you can make beautiful delicacies with lentils not restricting yourselves to just simple side dish of lentils for your rice or rotis.
So this was another recipe about using pulses in your pasta where the small, dry,white,oval shaped beans often used in baking is used here. Its also known as boston beans, navy beans or haricot beans. Its commonly known as baked beans and is available in supermarkets where the cooked beans are covered in tomato sauce.
I had one large can of these beans for a very long time and wanted to try this pasta recipe but somehow kept postponing it. Sometimes you have to try a recipe to understand the complexity of the recipe. This recipe is not complicated at all. Thats what I learned when I made this one. I have followed the recipe without making any changes. We just loved it and can be made when you have guests for dinner. The pasta combined with onions and capsicums, tossed in tomato sauce and topped with cheese is sure to be a hit with your guests.
Recipe Courtesy- Tarla Dalal's dal and pulses.
- Heat the butter in a deep pan, add the onions and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes , while stirring continuously.
- Add the capsicum, mix gently and saute on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes and chilli powder and mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 minutes , while stirring continuously.
- Add the pasta , beans, tomato ketchup, sugar and salt , toss gently and cover and cook on a slow flame for another 2- 3 minutes.
- Remove from the flame , sprinkle the cheese evenly over it .
- Cover and bake in a preheated oven at 200c for 20 minutes or till the cheese melts. Serve hot.