Masoor dal biryani
I started using whole masoor (red lentil) only recently after having it at a friend 's place. It is known to have high iron content and hence helps in builiding haemoglobin levels in the body. I used to make normal dal and have it with rice until I saw this recipe in Tarla dalal's book of dal and lentils. The recipe is very interesting compared to the other biryani recipes. And the addition of unusual ingredients makes it even more interesting. We just loved it. Try it to believe it as I always say!!
Recipe courtesy- Tarla Dalal's dals and pulses cookbook
For the masala masoor
- Clean,wash and soak the masoor in enough water atleast 1 to2 hours. Drain the masoor. Keep aside. Heat the oil in a pressure cooker,add the onions and saute till they turn brown in colour,while stirring continuously.
- Add the red chilli garlic paste and saute for a few more seconds ,while stirring continuously.
- Add the potatoes,tomatoes,apricots or dried figs,raisins, masoor,salt and 1 1/4 cups of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- If it is watery,simmer till little moisture evaporates and the mixture becomes semi dry.Keep aside.
- How to proceed-
- Divide the rice into 3 equal portions and the masala masoor into 2 equal portions keep aside.
- Spread one portion of the rice in an even layer in a greased glass baking dish.
- Spread one portion of the masala masoor over it.
- Spread the remaining rice over the masala masoor in an even layer.Repeat the steps 2 and 3 to make one more layer.
- Cover with an aluminium foil and bake in a pre heated oven at 200c for 10 minutes or microwave for 2 minutes.
- Ensure you do not use aluminium foil while microwaving .Use a microwave safe lid instead.
- Turn upside down on a large serving plate, just before serving, Serve hot garnished with coriander.