Murungakkai/ drumstick poricha kuzhumbu recipe
A couple of years back , I had some guests from Chennai. That was the first time, I cooked elaborate south indian meals everyday as they were not accustomed to rice, dal/rasam, curry/subji, chapatis etc which I cook on a everyday basis. I do make a complete tamil lunch twice or thrice a week. So that time , I used to be in a real confusion on what to cook everyday. But they were kind enough to suggest me menus, teach me new recipes or even cook some authentic dish. So murungakkai /drumstick poricha kuzhumbu was one of them. I used to make poricha kuzhumbu with a mixture of vegetables.But with drumsticks-this was new to me. After a long time now, when I could lay my hands on really fresh and good drumsticks, I made this for our weekend lunch.It was really good and I think I should make this kind of dishes quite often as everyone enjoyed it.
To roast and grind-
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the ingredients(under roast and grind).Saute till the coconut almost starts to brown. Cool and grind it to a smooth paste adding few drops of water while grinding.
- Chop the drumstick into long pieces of size as you wish. Heat a kadai/pan with water . Add salt and turmeric powder. Add the drumstick pieces along with peas if adding. Allow it to cook till soft. Add tamarind paste and sambar powder when it is getting cooked.
- Cook the mung dal in a cooker till soft and mushy.
- When the drumstick is cooked well, add the ground paste and cooked mung dal. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. When it crackles, add asafoetida, udid dal and channa dal along with curry leaves and dried red chillies. Add the seasoning to the gravy.
- Cook for next 2 minutes mixing everything well together. Switch off the flame.
Serve this with rice. I make another side dish called arachu kalaki for this.(recipe in my next post.)