Nombu adai - the sweet version(how to perform karadayan nombu)
Nombu adai is a special sweet dish made with rice flour for karadayan nombu or Savitri nombu when married women pray for the well being and long life of her husband . You can read more about this here.
I have always wanted to post this one every year. But the process of making this adai is a bit time consuming , though simple and the ritual has to be done on time, I never managed to click pictures. But this time I wanted to post a detailed procedure of the pooja as well as the recipe as I am sure this might be useful to the Tamil readers.
How to perform the nombu-
1. You have to know the exact time about when the pooja should be performed.
2. Some prefer to observe fast or just have fruits , no rice until the pooja is done.
3. Prepare the adais before the pooja.
4. Now decorate your pooja area with kolams/ rangoli and flowers.
5. Also keep a thali ready with the sacred yellow thread with a small piece of turmeric tied in between,betel leaves, betel nut, fruits and flowers.
6. Offer the neivedyam to the goddess by sprinkling water around the prasadams and perform an arthi and pray for the well being of your better half.
7. Tie the yellow thread around the goddess. Then tie one around your neck.
8. You can break the fast by having the adais.
- Soak the black eyed beans for around 2 hours.
- Roast the rice flour in a pan for about 5 minutes. The colour should not change, but it becomes slightly coarse (rough). Keep it aside.
- Now add around 3 cups of water in a pan. Add the jaggery to it. The jaggery should dissolve. Allow this to boil for 2-3 minutes. Add the soaked beans. Then add the roasted rice flour and mix well to form a thick mass. Adjust the quantity of water so that the dough is neither dry nor very loose and watery. Add ghee if you want to smoothen the dough further.
- Now make a small ball with the dough on your palms. Place it on a plastic sheet or banana leaf and flatten it to a disc shape making a small hole in the centre. Repeat this with rest of the dough.
- Now steam cook these discs for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from flame.
- This tastes nice with butter. I also serve them with Thalagam.
I also made savoury version of the adai called as kara adai which I will be posting in my next post.