Oats pongal recipe - Oats recipes
My hubby doesn't prefer eating rice in the night. So it's mostly chapatis for dinner. But there are some days when I don't get time to make chapatis. So we came up with the idea of using oats in cooking and substituting rice with oats.Though I have used oats in idlis and dosai before, a hubby's friend suggested using in upma etc. I made paniyaaram with oats recently. Then I tried this pongal with a lot of hesitation , but it actually tasted good. I will surely try upma soon.
I have always wanted to post venn pongal , but always ended up without pictures. So now this recipe is exactly the same as venn pongal except that I have used oats instead of rice.
Always serve it immediately as it might turn dry very soon.
- Dry roast the moong dal in a pan for 3-4 minutes. This step is optional.
- Wash the dal and cook in a pressure cooker till soft and mushy.
- Grind the whole pepper in a dry mixer to a coarse powder.
- Add around 2 cups of water to the oats and cook till soft.
- Combined the cooked oats and dal . Add salt and a cup of boiling water to loosen it.
- Add ghee in your seasoning pan. Add cumin seeds,pepper powder,curry leaves and some cashews.When the cashews turn golden brown, add the seasoning to the pongal.
- Mix well.
- Remove from flame after 2-3 minutes.
Serve warm with some coconut chutney or tomato gothsu.
Sweet pongal recipes-
One final look --