Oats upma recipe - Easy breakfast recipes
As I said before , I got a variety of wholegrains during my shopping to Mustafa. I have already posted with quinoa and I used quinoa in a variety of forms and also in place of rice. I will be posting some recipes with millets which is another grain I have been using. I also got a packet of steel cut oats. I have been using oats in my cooking for a long time and I have posted many recipes with it. This steel cut oats has a hard texture and takes little more time to cook than the usual quick cooking oats. As a result, it has a grainy texture like that of semolina or wheat rava. So I found this teel cut oats for upma.
Oats is a very good food for people who are trying to lose weight as it is high in fiber and low in calories and filling too. I make this during weeknights and serve with some salads making it a perfect meal for weight watchers.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seed ,udid dal and channa dal.
- When it sizzles, add the curry leaves and green chillies.
- Saute for few seconds and add onions.
- Saute till its turns slightly brown.
- Add the tomatoes followed by salt and turmeric powder.
- Saute till the tomatoes turns soft and mushy.
- Add the mixed vegetables.
- Saute till the vegtables turn slightly soft.
- Add 2-3 cups of water.
- When it boils, add the oats.
Mix and stir at intervals till the oats is cooked.
Add little ghee and mix well.
1. You can add mixed vegetables like carrots, beans,peas etc.
2. You can use quick cooking oats too.
3. Add peanuts or cashewnuts if you like.