Palak Khichadi recipe - spinach lentil rice - easy rice varieties
I love the khichdi served in thali restaurants. I love the semi liquid consistency of this , but no matter I make this at home, it turns a little dry and is not like porridge. But my family prefers it this way , so I just go ahead with it. In Singapore's Kailas parbat restaurant , they serve one "khaas khichadi" and we simply love that dish. They use basmati rice and the taste of dal in it tastes awesome. Since then , I started using basmati rice for khichadi. This time, I also added some spinach puree. It was quite delicious and is nutritious too, great recipe for kids. Its a one pot meal and you wont require any side dish for this.
- Wash and clean the spinach leaves.
- Blanch the leaves.
- Cool and puree the blanched leaves.
- Wash and soak the rice and dal for around 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds,asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When it crackles, add the curry leaves, ginger garlic paste and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes.
- Add turmeric powder,red chilly powder,coriander powder and salt.
- Mix and allow it cook till mushy.
- Add the chopped vegetables and mix.
- Add the spinach puree.
- Add the soaked rice dal mixture.
- Mix everything well together.
- Pour around 3 glasses of water.
- Cook in a pressure cooker till 2-3 whistles or accordingly.
- Add some ghee in the end and mix well.
The khichadi is supposed to be well cooked and mushy.
Mine became a little dry, but according to my opinion, it tastes delicious when its like porridge.
You can serve as it is or with some curd, papad and pickle.
You can use any variety of rice which cooks really well and quick as it is supposed to the mushy. Ponni rice doesn't seem to work too well with khichdi. Basmati rice has a nice flavor too.
You can omit the chopped vegetables.