We vegetarians have very few options at the pizza hut here in Singapore. But we are quite happy to note that they have added vegetarian pastas too from a couple of months. My son loves pizzas and pastas. Last time we had pasta with pomodoro sauce and mushrooms and he just loved it. It was all over in no time. Then we had pasta pomodoro at the pastamania too. My son loved it as usual, though I liked the pizza hut one better. So I thought of recreating this at home especially now when the term holidays are going on. I googled for the recipe and found that pomodoro is the Italian word for tomato and found a few sites with the recipe for pomodoro sauce too.
The alternative way is to use the store bought pasta tomato sauce and add it to cooked pasta along with some cooked vegetables which I am surely going to try next time for a different flavour. But this time , I made the sauce at home. The pasta was simply yummy and most important My son loved it!!!
- Red chilly powder-1tsp(I did not add)
- Vegetables- I used chopped mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini-1 cup
- Olive oil - 2 tsp divided
- Pasta/spaghetti- 1 packet
- Grated cheese for garnishing
- Pomodoro sauce-
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a pan.Add the garlic and onions and saute for a minute. Don't allow it to brown, should be translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes along with some salt followed by mixed herbs. Cook till the tomatoes are soft and the sauce is thick. You can add chilly powder while cooking.
- Now heat rest of the oil in a pan. Add the chopped vegetables along with some salt. Stir and cook till tender- soft yet crunchy.(dont add water for cooking)
- Cook the pasta/spaghetti according the package instructions. Wash under cold running water so that it doesn't stick to each other. Drain all the water.
- Now add the cooked vegetables and pomodoro sauce on the cooked pasta/spaghetti. Mix well and serve with some grated cheese on the top.
Notes- You can use fresh finely chopped basil leaves when making the pomodoro sauce instead of mixed herbs.
Adding sauteed vegetables is optional though it tastes nice and is healthy.