Pesarattu with upma -easy breakfast recipes
Pesarattu is a very popular breakfast in South India. But Pesarattu with upma is a popular delicacy in Andhra pradesh. This recipe was given to me by a telugu friend. This is a healthy and filling breakfast, could be eaten as a brunch.
Pesarattu dosa is made with mung dal and could be made more healthier with sprouted mung dal. And the upma I made is using tomato which is also popular in Andhra as tomato baath. The pesarattu stuffed with upma tastes its best with coconut chutney.
For the chutney
- Soak the dal overnight. Grind it to a smooth paste with a little ginger. Add salt. Add water to get a consistency of dosa batter. You dont need to ferment the batter.
- Pour a ladleful of the batter onto the hot tava and spread it into a neat circle. Add little oil on the edges.When one side gets roasted, flip the dosa to cook the other side too.
For the tomato baath/upma
- Roast the rava adding a little oil or ghee for 5 to 6 minutes. Meanwhile boil some water. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard, udid dal, green chillies,asafoetida and peanuts. Add tomatoes. cook them well adding a few drops of water. Now add the other frozen vegetables if using. Cook well. Add the roasted rava. Mix well. Add the boiled water. Mix and stir till all the water evaporates and the rava cook well and forms a thick mass.
- Place a pesarattu dosa on the serving plate. Add a large spoonful of the upma on one half of the dosa just like you place masala in a dosa in case of masala dosa. Cover with the other half by folding it. Serve with a spicy coconut chutney.
For the coconut chutney-
- Grind the coconut, roasted gram ,green chillies and curry leaves with a little water to a smooth paste. Season the chutney with mustard seeds, asafoetida and udid dal. Add salt.(You can try a adding a tsp of tamarind pulp when grinding.)