Poli or is it boli?- Tamil style
Being in Maharashtra for so many years , I have always loved their pooran poliand even tried it a few times. The South Indian style polis or bolis was rarely prepared at our place. But then I made it a point to make them during the Tamil new year this year.Well, there is a slight difference in the both the versions. The only major difference is that in Tamil nadu, the cover of the boli is made with maida and in Maharashtra,whole wheat flour/atta is used. The sweet filling remains the same. The tamil polis are thinner in contrast to the thick pooran polis made in Maharashtra.
The polis can be stored for a couple of days even in a air tight container kept outside. Heat on a tava with some ghee before you serve them. Due to the humid climate in Singapore, I store them in refrigerator and microwave for a few seconds before serving them.
For the cover
For the stuffing-
- Combine all the ingredients (under for the cover) and make a soft , smooth and firm dough using water. knead using oil at the end to prevent it from becoming sticky.
- Cook the channa dal in cooker till it becomes soft , but not very mushy. Allow it to cool, drain the water. Grind it in a mixer till it becomes a paste. Now heat jaggery in a pan with a 1/4 cup water. When the jaggery dissolves and boils,add the ground dal along with cardamom powder and mix. Keep stirring till it becomes a thick paste. Your stuffing is ready.
- How to assemble-
- Pinch of a lemon sized portion of the dough. Roll it to a circle. Place a small ball of the stuffing in the center. Seal the ball. Now roll it again with a rolling pin to a thin circle.
- Heat a tava. Place the circle on the hot tava. Allow it to cook. Now flip and cook on the other side. When small dark brown spots appears on it, it is cooked.Brush generous amount of ghee on both sides. Serve warm.
- See step by step preperation of pooran poli here.