Pulikachal and puliyodharai
Puliyodharai is often made as prasadam/offering to god in most of the temples in Tamilnadu. I remember having hot puliyodharai after some pooja in a temple in my village. It tasted just superb in the cold midnight.
I have always loved puliyodharai but never tried making on my own as I thought it was a long process. I always used the readymade MTR puliyogarai packets or the grand sweets pulikachal mix.
But recently, I tried making it and found the process so easy that now this is a regular thing in my home. I made this on fourth day of navrathri along with sundal (will be posting later) when I had some guests at home. It tasted great. So this is how I made.
- Roast all the ingredients and grind them to a fine powder.
- Rice - 2 cups
- Sesame oil- 1tbsp
- Roast and grind the powder as mentioned above.
- Soak the tamarind in 2-3 glasses of hot water.squeeze out the pulp and discard the rest of the tamarind. It should be very watery like rasam.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry mustard seeds, groundnuts,channa dal,chillies ,asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Pour tamarind water carefully. Add the turmeric powder and jaggery. Cook in low flame till it thickens.It will take 30 minutes.
- Add the ground powder. Mix and allow to cook for few minutes. Stir till it forms a thick paste.
- You can store it for even a week or two.
- Cook rice in a pressure cooker. The grains should be seperate.Add a tablespoon of hot sesame oil with the pulikachal as required. Mix and serve.
- Serve with curd and appalams/papad. I love this combo.