Many people I met hate pumpkin as its quite sweet to taste.But I love this vegetable because no matter how spicy you make it, it tastes really good according to me. You can be quite generous with the green chillies you add because it gives an appropriate spiciness to the pumpkin.
I had seen this recipe in a Sanjeev kapoor cooker show many years back. I had noted down the recipe and its very similar to the south Indianolan sans the lentils.
I wouldn’t say this is the best dish with pumpkin but it tasted good. I served with some rotis.
I have given the method of making coconut milk at home below
- Make a paste of coconut ,garlic and mustard seeds.
- Heat oil. Add curry leaves and onion and saute till it turns pink.
- Add the pumpkin pieces and salt and mix.
- Add slit green chillies and then pour the thin coconut milk.
- Cover and cook till tender.
Add the thick coconut milk,ground paste and mix well.
Simmer for 3-4 minutes. (dont over cook, the milk will curdle)
IngredientsGarnish with coriander leaves
- Add a cup of warm water to 1 cup of freshly grated coconut. Blend and filter it. Squeeze the coconut pulp well and extract the maximum milk properly.
- This is your thick coconut mik.
- Again add some half cup of warm water to coconut residue. Blend and filter it well. Now you have got the thin coconut milk.
Other pumpkin recipes -Check them out –