Rajma masala- chawal(rice)- The ultimate combo
I got familiar with this rajma chawal when I stayed in Delhi some 15 years back. This was meant to be the absolute comfort food in every household and used to be everyone's favourite sunday lunch. Somehow after leaving Delhi, I had forgotten all about this rajma chawal affair, though there were some rare occasions when I did have this. But it was almost some couple of years and suddenly one day, I was craving for some rajma chawal. So I bought some rajma/Kidney beans and made it for lunch last week. It was delicious and will always remain one of my favourites.
- Soak the beans for atleast 12 hours.
- Pressure cook till it becomes very soft(About 8 to 10 whistles).
- Grind together onion, tomato, garlic, ginger and green chillies. Also add few cooked rajma when grinding.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the ground paste.
- Saute for sometime.
- Add all the spices and saute till the raw flavour disappears.
- Add the cooked beans along with the water and cook for around 10 to 15 minutes till the beans mixes really well with the gravy.
- Serve rajma masala with hot rice.
Notes- Rajma is slightly on the heavier side as it contains lot of proteins. It causes gas and bloating. So its better to avoid them for dinner.
Rinse and soak the rajma for a long time as it reduces the gas causing properties to some extent.
You can also add some store bought tomato puree for a deep red colour.