Rava idli (with vegetables)
I have made this particular idlis so many times. I mean this is the basic recipe responsible for all the variations of idlis posted here before. Also I thought of posting this one as I took step by step pictures for the first time. We have always enjoyed this for our weekend dinners. Its easy to make too!!
Notes- You can make it without the vegetables too. I have update dthe pictures of rava idlis without the vegetables.
- Ghee- 2tsp and more to rub on idli moulds
- Udid dal-1/2tsp
- Channa dal- 1tsp
- Curry leaves- 3-4 leaves torn to bits
- Baking soda-1/2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Roast the rava on a pan for 5 minutes till you get a nice aroma of it. Add the curd.
- Mix and leave it for around 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the mustard seeds, udid dal, channa dal and cashews.
- Stir till golden brown.
- Add the curry leaves followed by the mixed vegetables(if adding)
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cook till the vegetables are soft,but crispy.
- Now add this to the soaked rava after 2 hours. Add the baking soda and more salt if necesary.
- Leave for another 30 minutes. (the consistency in the pictures seems to be a very thick, it should be slightly more of a looser consisitency,like that of a normal idli batter.)
- Add a small portion each to the greased moulds of your idli plate. Steam the idlis for 15 minutes. Check with a knife if done.
- Remove the idlis from the idli moulds.
- Serve immediately with some chutney.
Different variations of rava idli-
Other idli varieties-