Red bean buns - sweet buns
I have seen that red beans buns are quite popular in Singapore.We usually have bread or oats for breakfast. Usually its the whole meal bead, but sometimes we do buy stuffed buns for a change. We have tried the red beans buns,kaya or sweetened coconut stuffed buns and many other interesting flavours. My hubby is fond of them and he finds it quite filling too. Though I eat them , but don't find it very tempting.Making your own bread for breakfast is fun , but I only manage to do it sometime. Last week, I had soaked red beans to make a side dish for chapati. I then thought of making buns and hence reserved half cup of the soaked beans to make this buns. The buns were very good. The red bean paste tasted quite similar to what we buy from the stores.But the store bought buns are very soft and fluffy compared to these because of the use of bread flour and more leavening agents. I have used whole wheat flour because its more healthy , but the bread is bit denser yet soft. But we loved the taste and making at home gave me immense satisfaction.
For the dough-
For the red bean paste-
- Mix the yeast in warm water and allow it to froth for 10 minutes. Then add the sugar and salt followed by the all purpose flour and 2 cups of atta. use a whisk to mix everything together. Then add the yogurt and honey. Mix well. Now use your palms to knead the dough. Use rest of the wheat flour to form a smooth, loose and non sticky pliable dough. Add oil in the end and ensure the dough is coated with oil. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel. Allow it to rice for 2-3 hours till the volume is almost doubled.
For the dough-
For the red beans paste-
- Soak the red beans in water for 6-8 hours. Cook in a pressure cooker till it turns soft. Drain all the water and puree it in a blender. Now add the puree in a saucepan. Add the sugar. Now the mixture will be a little runny. Keep stirring till it becomes a thick paste. Ensure that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- How to assemble-
- After the dough has doubled, punch the dough and knead it by folding it 4-5 times on a surface containing flour. Pinch a lemon sized portion of the dough. Roll it to a circle by flattening it with your palms. Place a tablespoon of the red beans paste in the center. Seal the open ends.Form a ball and flatten it. Place it on the baking tray lined with grease proof paper. Repeat the same with rest of the dough. Allow it to rise for another 30-40 minutes. Brush the outer surface with melted butter mixed with same quantity of milk. Place this in a preheated oven and bake at 180c for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Brush with the remaining butter and milk mixture when its hot. Allow it cool and serve. You can store this in a refrigerator. Microwave for 20 seconds before serving.
Use 4 cups all bread and avoid wheat flour if you want very fluffy buns.
- You can use egg wash for brushing the buns before baking them for softer surface.