Spicy bittergourd- side dish for chapati
I have always loved the humble bittergourd even if it is detested by so many of them. It can be cooked and combined in so many ways that you can actually forget the bitter taste and enjoy it. Like in my stuffed bittergourd and now this one, the bittergourd gets blended with the spices, and you will actually love it. Try it to believe it!!
- Cut the bittergourd into rings. Remove and discard the seeds. Add some salt and turmeric powder and leave it for around one hour. After an hour squeeze out the water completely.
- Pour some oil in a pan. Shallow fry the bittergourd till golden brown and keep aside.
- Heat oil in another pan. Add the spices(red chillies, bayleaves, cinnamon,cloves,cardamom,and coriander seeds if adding) followed by ginger ,garlic and the onions. Saute for sometime. Now add the grated coconut and saute for one more minute. Cool and grind this to a paste.
- Heat 1tsp of oil in a pan. Add the paste along with turmeric powder and salt along with coriander powder and red chilly powder if adding. Mix well and cook for around 5 minutes. Now add the bittergourd pieces. Mix well and add some water. Cook well till the bittergourd has blended with the spices in the gravy.Add a lump of jaggery and mix well.
- Serve hot with hot chapatis.