Stuffed karela/bittergourd- spicy side dish for chapati
One of my best friends M used to bring this in her tiffin box to office and we loved it. I asked her for the recipe and then made it once at home. It became a frequent thing after that. After a long time, I made it again and decided to blog about it as some friends requested for the recipe.I am not sure whether I have followed "M's"exact recipe as I made it almost after a gap of two years. But this was equally tasty and was finished in no time with phulkas. Thank you 'M'.
Stuffed karela/bittergourd- spicy side dish for chapatiOne of my best friends M used to bring this in her tiffin box to office and we loved it. I asked her for the recipe and then made it once at home. It became a frequent thing after that. After a long time, I made it again and decided to blog about it as some friends requested for the recipe.I am not ...Sowmya Madhavan
5 to 6 small ones
Onions- finely chopped
Garlic- - finely chopped
Green chillies-finely choped
Ginger- a small piece chopped fine or grated
Red chilly powder
Groundnuts- roasted and powdered
Oil- as needed
a few teaspoons
- Slit one portion of the gourd vertically and remove all the seeds. Boil them in water for 5 minutes so that the skin becomes slightly tender. Dry them.Rub them with salt and turmeric and keep for sometime. Later gently squeeze out the water. This step will reduce the bitterness.Keep it aside.
For the stuffing
- Heat little oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and fennel seeds. Then add ginger , garlic, green chillies
- and then the onion and saute for few seconds. Then add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala and salt. Mix well. Add the powdered ground nuts. At this point, the onions should be crispy.(Dont cook for a long time)
- Now fill the treated gourds with this stuffing. Rub little oil on them.
- Arrange them on a shallow saucepan. Add little oil on the sides and close with a lid. Cook till the skin becomes dark brown. Keep turning them in between so that they cook on all sides.
- Serve hot with chapatis/phulkas.