Sugarfree Beetroot halwa - healthy dessert recipes
I had seen a similar recipe with carrots in some cookbook many years ago. I had decided to try this one with beetroot because of the colour (dessert will look appealing as the colour of the dates and beetroot is almost the same.) I did not expect it to taste great. But nowadays I am always looking for a healthy substitute and try to avoid sugar and fats so that I can have my favourite desserts. And to my surprise this one was too good and satisfying. I hope you really try this one. I am sure you are going to have a guilt free indulgence.
Recipe source- Indian vegetarian kitchen
- Peel and grate the beetroot.
- You can grind the grated beetroot in a mixer.This step is optional.
- Heat a pan and add the ghee. When it melts, add the cashewnuts. Roast them till golden brown.
- Remove the cashewnuts.
- In the same pan, add the grated beetroot.Keep stirring for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the dates and pour the milk. Mix well.
- Keep stirring till the mixture thickens a little.
- Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
- Stir for somemore time till the mixture is thickened and completely dry.
- Mix in the roasted cashewnuts.
- Add more ghee if you prefer it little richer.
- Serve warm or chilled.
You can add more number of dryfruits and nuts like raisins and pistachios.
Its better to consume it on the same day itself. But in case of leftovers, store in refrigerator. But tastes its best if consumed on the same day.