Vathal kuzhumbu recipe--How to make vetral/vatha kuzhumbu- Tamilian's comfort food
Ask a Tamilian and he would say vathal kuzhumbu and "chutta appalam"(roasted papads) is the most comfort food for him!!!!
Basically this is a gravy with a blend of spices along with some vathals (dried vegetables) or sometimes even fresh vegetables. It is believed to have medicinals values.
Dried vegetables like sundakkai (turkey berry) or manathakali (sunberry)are used. Even shallots and drumsticks are sometimes added in this gravy. There are many other varieties too.I have given a list in the ingredients section.
Vathal kuzhumbu is usually prepared in large quantities because you can store this for a long time. Infact the taste gets even better the next day.
It has been a long time since I posted a tamil recipe. There are lot of new recipes to be explored into. So till then, do try making this gravy. A perfect comfort food!!
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add the dals/parappu/lentils , dried red chillies and pepper.
- Roast till the dal turn golden brown. Allow it to cool.
- Then add the curry leaves , tomatoes and garlic.
- Grind it to a fine paste along with tamarind.
- Heat some more oil.
- Add the mustard .After it crackles, add your choice of dried or fresh vegetables(as mentioned in the ingredients list above. Add salt and asafoetida. Add the ground paste. Add 2 cups of water(rinse the blender and add that water too into this). Mix well and cook till the gravy thickens. It will take around 10-15 minutes.
- Serve with hot rice and roasted appalams/papads.
- You can add more sesame oil to the rice after mixing with vathal kuzhumbu.
I found some interesting vathal kuzhumbu (other than those which I have already listed above) in the blogosphere. So thought of sharing it with you all if you havent already seen.